Qualifications and Areas of Practice
Kristin is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with many years of experience working with individuals, couples and families in private practice and outpatient agencies. She provides sex therapy to both individuals and couples with specific sexual disorders interfering with their functioning and relationships. She is focused on helping clients and couples improve their communication skills while providing them with information on their attachment styles which are both strengths and contribute to conflicts in their intimate relationships. She has a strong background in addiction, helping clients moderate their use of alcohol or other substances in addition to compulsive behaviors like gambling, spending and out-of-control sexual behaviors.
Kristin facilitates sessions in which stigma, embarrassment and shame regarding a client’s or couples’ erotic interests and sexual practices are addressed and decreased through education and clinical techniques. Kristin also has a strong background in working with adults from a spectrum of cultural, religious, economic backgrounds in addition to people who are from the LGBTQ+ community. She works with people who have practices or interests in kink, polyamory, and other consensual non-monogamous lifestyles.
Some of the primary sexual disorders and conflicts Kristin addresses include:
- Performance anxiety interfering with sexual functioning
- Pelvic pain (GPPPD)
- Erectile Disorder
- Compulsive or Out of control sexual behavior (online and/or with partners)
- Attachment and communications conflicts in relationships
- Desire discrepancy
- Delayed sexual behavior (prolonged virginity)
- Premature (or Uncontrolled) Ejaculation
- Delayed Ejaculation
- Infidelity and Affairs (past or recent)
- Boundary Setting (in new or ongoing relationships)
- Past sexual trauma (including boundary crossings, childhood sexual abuse and sexual harassment)
- Navigating non-monogamy agreements
- LGBTQ+ issues including identity, dating, and relationship conflicts
- helping clients navigating their interests in kink, BDSM, swinging and other alternative lifestyles
In addition to sexual and intimacy related issues, Kristin treats addresses a range of general psychotherapy issues, including:
marital & couples counseling
- low self-esteem
- Substance use disorders
- Behavioral process disorders (shopping, gambling, etc.)
- Anxiety and Panic Disorder (including Social Anxiety)
- Major life-stage transitions (Moving in together, getting engaged, pre-marital counseling, separation, job loss, divorce, loss of a relative)
- Existential challenges (decision around work/life balance, having a child, moving to another location)
- Unresolved and/or ongoing Family of Origin conflicts
- Recovery from past complex trauma
- Parenting coaching
Kristin holds a MA in Clinical Psychology from Antioch University and did her post-graduate training in Family Systems Therapy at The Ackerman Institute for the Family. She is certified in Integrative Harm Reduction Psychotherapy. Kristin received her BA from Barnard College of Columbia University.
Kristin uses the CLS Sex Esteem® approach to treatment which combines techniques from: Family Systems, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), Motivational Interviewing (MI), Internal Family Systems (IFS), Imago and Hakomi traditions of treatment.
Her clinical style is collaborative, curious and mindful. She creates a safe, non-judgmental space for each client’s individual process to unfold, and one of her core beliefs is that it is crucial to start therapy where a person or couple is, whether they are coping with ambivalence around sexuality / sexual issues, their relationship, attachment challenges or compulsive behavior challenges. She gets that discussing one’s sex life can be deeply awkward, embarrassing and painful at times given our culture’s negative beliefs and people’s personal background stories.
In treatment, Kristin joins a client in the exploration, discovery and recovery that takes place in therapy and builds trust, safety, through a collaborative process. She emphasizes building upon each person’s innate strengths while helping them understand their relational patterns that may contribute to their distress, anxiety and suffering. Each treatment plan is tailored to the needs of each client or couple and their stated goals for their relationship, health, and work/life balance plan.
Professional and Community Associations
Kristin is an active member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) the Women’s Association of Addiction Treatment (WAAT) and the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT).