Qualifications and Areas of Practice
Kelly is a psychotherapist with several years of experience helping individuals, couples and groups with various challenges to reach their goals through individually tailored psychotherapy. She is a sex-positive sex therapist who strives to help clients bring sexual and erotic pleasure back into their lives through a collaborative therapeutic approach. Her areas of expertise include sexual disorders, LGBTQAI issues, addiction, trauma, and psychiatric disorders. She has helped many individuals and couples through treatment using an intersectional lenses including familial, community, racial, cultural, religious, medical and societal contributions to a person’s sexual script. She helps clients navigate difficult conversations with partners regarding physical touch, emotional intimacy, compulsivity, substance addiction, sexual disorders, and erotic desires. Kelly’s priority is to create a safe, comfortable, and intentional space for clients in her sessions. She aims to achieve this through compassion, connection, and authenticity. Kelly believes that the therapeutic relationship is the foundation to client(s)’ growth.
Kelly treats clients with a wide range of sexual disorders and general psychotherapy issues including:
- Sexual Pain, Vulvodynia, GPPPD (Genito-Pelvic-Penetrative-Pain Disorder)
- Discrepant Desire (partners having differing sexual needs)
- Erectile Disorder
- Rapid or Premature Ejaculation
- Compulsive Sexual Behaviors
- Infidelity Recovery (long-term affairs, hook-ups, escorts)
- Couples counseling
- Emotional intimacy
- Sexual Trauma (Childhood Sexual Abuse, Sexual Assault, Boundary Crossings)
- Sexuality throughout the lifespan
- Sober sexuality
- how to discuss safer sex practices
- dating concerns
- Self-esteem and body image related concerns
- Family of Origin Stressors
- LGBTQIA identified
- Heterosexual individuals and couples
- Clients raised in strict religious (Muslim, Christian, Orthodox Judaism, or unique communities (cults)
- Consensual Non-Monogamous Clients
In addition to these sexual related challenges, Kelly treats clients with a wide range of general psychotherapy issues including:
- Panic Disorder
- Anxiety (Generalized and Social)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Grief, Loss and Bereavement
- COVID-19 related anxiety and/or health concerns
Kelly earned her Master’s Degree in Social Work with a focus on trauma informed care and human rights at the University at Buffalo. She has worked with individuals, families, and children for many years to help them heal, transform, and live fulfilling lives. She earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration from D’Youville College.
Kelly values a holistic and collaborative approach to treatment and has a warm, connected, and direct style of therapy. She uses an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy framework through a trauma informed lens to help clients align their attitudes, thoughts and actions with their core values leading to a fulfilling life rooted in authenticity. Kelly also uses attachment interventions to help clients become more aware of their relationship styles and to heal their relationships. She is a culturally aware and curious clinician who strives to learn more about each client’s experience of the world and how their racial, religious and/or sexual identity contributes to their resilience, strengths and/or challenges in their life.
She is experienced in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy, Mindfulness, and Motivational Interviewing.
Professional and Community Associations
Kelly is an active member of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists.